This is where to go to find the best food and service. While food is our passion we will mention a fantastic wine, drink, or cigar. We try to remain positive but truly bad service will be mentioned (so many great stories have to do with bad service). I hope that we can lead you to a fantastic meal or lend an idea to a personal creation



Monday, April 5, 2010

Another favorite





Here is another spot in New Orleans that had fantastic food. Being that this was Super Bowl Sunday it was amazing that we found an open restaurant that wasn't already spilling over into the streets. As we walked down Chartres, Geoff and Joe both had mentioned the Chartres House Cafe. We walked in and were seated immediately. This is a very nice restaurant. Very old with some updates including a big back room which is where we sat and a revamped balcony where you can eat overlooking all the revelry.




Geoff and I both ordered the muffoletta. Me because I heard it was the best in the Quarter...Geoff because he's had it before. They came out and were piled with fries. I was skeptical at first, something just didn't seem right. I chalked it up to never having had the 'best muffoletta' ever and proceeded to dig in.






Something just didn't seem right. The bun was perfectly toasted, the olive tapinade had the right amount of crunch and tang...something was still amiss. The patty underneath truly left something to be desired. So I asked Geoff who was thouroughly enjoying his why he seemed to be having so much enjoyment whilst I was not getting it.







Geoff didn't say much, he just kept destroying his sandwich while making noises I can't spell. Still a bit annoyed that he's having all the fun I ask our waiter to come over and see if he can shed some light on my situation.






It turns out that I was given the wrong sandwich. Somehow I was served the vegetarian version and the patty under the tapinade was really just a deepfried pressed veggie burger. He quickly replaced my sandwich with a true New Orleans staple and I was soon making the same sounds that Geoffery was making. I will admit, I have had meatier muffolettas while in New Orleans but the quality of meat made up for the quantity in the first bite. The tapenade was also first class, just enough bite was left in the vegetables and the heat vs olive mixture was perfect.




If you saw the empty soup cup it was the crawfish ettoufette that was part of Joe's crawfish platter which was very good. The platter was great but could have been a lot better if they didn't depend on so much fried filler. The meal (once remedied) was a great lunch. Would highly recommend.
601 Chartres StNew Orleans,
LA 70130(504) 586-8383

No comments:

Post a Comment